Frequently Asked Questions

Decisions regarding the admission, treatment, and care of people with emotional problems are made at the local and State levels, so the types of available services, and how those services are funded, vary by State. Your State Mental Health Agency will be helpful in telling you what services are available in your State. You may also want to contact local chapters of self-help organizations to learn about other services available in your specific community.

Your doctor or someone at your local mental health center can refer you to a licensed therapist who is registered and affiliated with his/her same professional association.

If stress, or interpersonal or job-related tension, is interfering with your daily life or if a medical condition is causing you mental anguish, you may want to seek mental health care. If habitual use of legal or illegal substances is negatively affecting your health and/or your daily life, you should seek treatment for substance abuse. In either circumstance, you should seek care as soon as possible, before you feel that you can no longer cope with the situation. These problems are just as important, and treatable, as medical problems.